the case study in a nutshell
This Client is a world leader in the pot and vases manufacturing industry that experienced a sudden and drastic increase in demand, due to the global pandemic but was not ready to absorb such growth and was in an immediate need to increase the production capacity. The ideally solution would have been to have company’s operations flexible enough to generate extra capacity when needed, with a user-friendly digital tool. And that is exactly that we achieved thanks to a customized Digital Twin of the production process. The optimization algorithm increased the efficiency by up to 16.3% without any investment, decreased the complexity and the time needed for production planning, reveled the main bottlenecks and quantified the main inefficiencies.
Increase in clients understanding about possible optimal capacity and how to unlock it
We tell you a story
To design, validate and formalize a methodology in the Barcelona plant expandable to the whole EMEA region, with the following goals:
- develop an earmolds integrated EMEA supply chain, capable of up to 600k earmolds per year;
- reduce cost by 4.6 mEUR per year by improving sourcing and production effectiveness and efficiency, lowering the per full industrial cost from 13.9 to 10 EUR/unit;
- maintain/improve current Service Level
We have developed from scratch a Digital Twin in order to:
- simulate all possible future scenarios, obtaining precise calculation of lead times, service levels and saturations;
- validate the re-layout/material flow hypothesis before any intervention;
- find the optimal configuration in terms of allocated FTEs and shifts for any possible demand which yield maximal throughput.
We have also designed an OCR-based real-time digital traceability and jobs scheduling system, integrated with the existing ERP, for guaranteeing the optimal scenario in case of unpredictable demand and jobs priorities.
Our customer is a large Italian group that has become a world leader in the pot manufacturing industry. Group has five commercial branches spread around Europe and the USA and 3 manufacturing facilities located in Italy, the USA and China.
- The demand has increased more than 30%, and the client is considering expanding production capacity by adding new equipment.
- Customer wants to evaluate current production planning and explore different approaches to reach the optimal capacity.
- Customer is facing high production planning complexity combined with high number of unique SKUs, multiple planning constrains and varying machine capabilities.
- Used Digital Twin to study current production process and impact of the production constrains, evaluate the capacity in different configurations.
- Optimized the way that products are scheduled and assigned to machines in order to maximize the throughput.
- Delivered a user-friendly tool for future planning and created a dashboard for visualizing the production during each step of the process.
- Digitally validated the impact of adding a new equipment before investing real money.